• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krischerian

I may have entered box 32 incorrectly in my 2017 filing which is accepted now. I am in a company sponsored 401K. However I entered this amount in box 32. Please advise?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL

I may have entered box 32 incorrectly in my 2017 filing which is accepted now. I am in a company sponsored 401K. However I entered this amount in box 32. Please advise?

If you claimed an IRA deduction that you were not entitled to and the return was accepted by the IRS, then you will have to amend the return. 

(Don't worry, lots of people amend returns because of errors like this and the IRS won't have a problem with it).

See the following FAQ - How to Amend (Change or Correct) a Return You Already Filed

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ToddL

If you claimed an IRA deduction that you were not entitled to and the return was accepted by the IRS, then you will have to amend the return. 

(Don't worry, lots of people amend returns because of errors like this and the IRS won't have a problem with it).

See the following FAQ - How to Amend (Change or Correct) a Return You Already Filed

krischerian

Thank you for the answer! Online, I read that I can re-file my original return all over again if its not passed the due date of filing and have yet to receive any type of notice from IRS. Is that correct?
ToddL

That may be possible but could cause numerous problems if the IRS has already accepted your first return. The amendment process ensures a smooth transition from how the original return was processed to how the corrections are processed.
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v