hudsonhawk123

I made a mistake which made me ineligible for a stimulus check. If I amend my 2019 will i receive that money?

ColeenD3

What mistake did you make? 

Taxpayers likely won't qualify for an Economic Impact Payment if any of the following apply:

• Your adjusted gross income is greater than
    • $99,000 if your filing status was single or married filing separately
    • $136,500 for head of household
    • $198,000 if your filing status was married filing jointly
  • You can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return. For example, this would include a child, student or older dependent who can be claimed on a parent’s return.
  • You do not have a valid Social Security number.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
  • You filed Form 1040-NR or Form 1040NR-EZ, Form 1040-PR or Form 1040-SS for 2019

hudsonhawk123

i made the mistake of checking the box “can be claimed as a dependent”. But i won’t be claimed as one for 2019 taxes.

lucyjimmy6266

I think I made a mistake filing my son's taxes. I checked the box that said someone else can claim me , but  also checked no one will claim me in 2019.  Will he still get his stimulus check?

CatinaT1

You will need to amend.

If you filed, it is like dropping it into a mailbox - you cannot get it back.

You'll have to wait until your return is either accepted or rejected.

• If rejected, you can make any necessary changes.
  • If accepted, you'll need to amend your return
  • To avoid unnecessary delays, do not amend until your original return has been fully processed.  You will need to print and mail the amendment.  
  • Allow 8-12 weeks for processing.

See this TurboTax FAQ for help with amending.

You can check the status of your amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after filing for it to show up.