turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm not able to proceed past a check that takes me to 1040 Line 10b. No value in 10b is accepted. The only way to complete my return is to take the standard deduction?

I'm itemizing my deductions (this error does *not* happen if I choose the standard deduction). I'm not trying to claim the $300 CARES act thing. I'm just trying to itemize my deduction
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

I'm not able to proceed past a check that takes me to 1040 Line 10b. No value in 10b is accepted. The only way to complete my return is to take the standard deduction?

If your itemized deductions are greater than the Standard Deduction, TurboTax will automatically use the itemized deductions on your Schedule A. 

Some deductions are subject to limitations, so this could have changed what was the most beneficial deduction in your tax situation. 

If you need to review your deductions or force the use of Itemized Deductions, please follow the steps below: 

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on Tax Tools on the left hand side.
  3. Click on Tools.
  4. Click Topic Search
  5. Search "itemized deductions, choosing"
  6. Click on Change my deduction.
  7. Choose Itemized Deductions under Which deduction do you want to take this year? 
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I'm not able to complete those steps. When I choose to itemize my deductions it lets me proceed, and then says I owe more tax than I should because I'm claiming the standard deduction. No matter how many times I choose to itemize, TurboTax acts like I'm choosing the standard deduction

Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Since you are choosing to itemize your deductions, this should be blank.

For 2020, you are allowed to deduct up to $300 ($150 if Married filing Separately) of cash donations to 501(c)3 organizations even if you do not itemize your deductions.

In order to take this above-the-line deduction, enter your donation(s) under Deductions &Credits > Charitable Donations > Donations to Charities in 2020.  TurboTax will enter the donation as a deduction on your tax return if you do not itemize your deductions.

On your form 1040, this deduction is on line 10b - Charitable contributions if you take the standard deduction.

This doesn't help me because I *am* trying to itemize my deductions

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Did you try clearing your cache and cookies? Try refreshing your screen, then try clearing your browser's cache. Then log out and log back into TurboTax. You can also try using a different browser. If that doesn't work, please contact us and we will be happy to continue to help you.

You can also call TurboTax support through this link. 

What is the TurboTax phone number? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies