turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just want to fail my federal taxes today and I want it for my state taxes later

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I just want to fail my federal taxes today and I want it for my state taxes later

You can delete the State return, then go back & file just the Federal return.m  If you want to file your State return later, then go back through the State interview.

How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

If you don't see the option to delete your state (you'll probably see Edit instead), you've already paid your TurboTax fees (including the state fee) or registered your free version while the state was on your return. If you've done either of these things, you can't delete your state return.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can delete the State return, then go back & file just the Federal return.m  If you want to file your State return later, then go back through the State interview.

How do I delete my state return in TurboTax Online?

You can delete your state return in TurboTax Online as long as you haven't paid or registered yet.

1. Sign in and open your return if you don't already have it open.
  2. From the left menu, select State (if you don't see this menu, select the menu icon in the upper-left) and then select Continue on the Let's get your state taxes done right screen.
  3. On the Status of your state returns screen select Delete to the right of your state, then answer Yes.

If you don't see the option to delete your state (you'll probably see Edit instead), you've already paid your TurboTax fees (including the state fee) or registered your free version while the state was on your return. If you've done either of these things, you can't delete your state return.

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

To e-file your federal taxes now and your state taxes later, follow the instructions in the TurboTax Help article at this link.  Note that if you have already prepared your state return, you must either pay for that state return first, or delete it and then add it back when you are ready to file it.

For your convenience, here are the instructions from that Help article for the two ways to skip your state in TurboTax Online:

1. Pay for both your federal and state returns now and when you get to the Here are your filing options screen, select Change next to your state return. On the the Change filing method screen, select I'm not ready to file and Save.
  2. Delete your state return, file your federal return now, and then come back later re-do your state return.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies