kristionnaf

I just sent my efile off and realized I forgot to include a dependent. If the IRS has not yet accepted my return, can I change it?

Kat

Once you've submitted your return, you'll need to wait to see if the IRS accepts it or rejects it.  As filing season hasn't officially opened (the IRS has said it will open on January 29, 2018), your e-filed return is being held by TurboTax for submission as soon as season opens.

So you'll need to wait first to see if your return is accepted.  If the IRS rejects your return for some reason, you can correct any mistakes before re-submitting.  If the IRS accepts your return, you'll need to amend the return to make the correction.

Amending TurboTax returns for 2017 won't be available until February.  At that time, you would need to prepare and mail your amended return.  Amended returns cannot be e-filed.  Also, please wait until your original return has completely "cleared" the IRS system and any refund expected has been received.

Here's a TurboTax FAQ with instructions for amending your 2017 return, in case you need to do that.  Please follow the directions carefully, as they are quite specific.

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Kat