Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Cindy-H-C

I just received new "Final" Schedule K-1 for husband's S Corp for 2014 tax year. Do I need to amend 2014 return? Numbers match w/prior version except 'final' box checked.

What is the impact of the 'final' box (e.g., carryovers, etc.)? And is there any impact to my 2015 return, which is near completion - I was about to final that until I received this new form from 2014.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

I just received new "Final" Schedule K-1 for husband's S Corp for 2014 tax year. Do I need to amend 2014 return? Numbers match w/prior version except 'final' box checked.

You have two options:

1) Amend your 2014 return to report the final K-1, write off any remaining investment in the S-Corp, and report a gain or loss on the dissolution.

See: "How do I Amend (Change or Correct) a 2014 Return in TurboTax?"

2) Report the final K-1 on your 2015 tax return, with zero income, and write off the investment at a gain or loss in the current year. When you indicate a final K-1, TurboTax will ask you about the sale/disposition of your investment in order to report any gain or loss. You will need to know your basis in the investment in order to complete this section of the interview.

Schedule K-1 is entered under Business Income. To find this section easily, follow the instructions below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301717

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

You have two options:

1) Amend your 2014 return to report the final K-1, write off any remaining investment in the S-Corp, and report a gain or loss on the dissolution.

See: "How do I Amend (Change or Correct) a 2014 Return in TurboTax?"

2) Report the final K-1 on your 2015 tax return, with zero income, and write off the investment at a gain or loss in the current year. When you indicate a final K-1, TurboTax will ask you about the sale/disposition of your investment in order to report any gain or loss. You will need to know your basis in the investment in order to complete this section of the interview.

Schedule K-1 is entered under Business Income. To find this section easily, follow the instructions below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301717

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

You don't need to amend for that provided the only difference between the K-1 filed on the one you just got is that the "final" box is checked.  When the final box is checked, that indicates one or more of several things.

- The recipient of the K-1 is no longer an owner/shareholder in the Corporation

- The S-Corp was closed, sold or otherwise dissolved.

Do keep that K-1 though in case

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies