turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I just received Box 5 on form 1098...do I need to file an amendment to my 2017 taxes since I've already filed them? Will this increase my refund?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I just received Box 5 on form 1098...do I need to file an amendment to my 2017 taxes since I've already filed them? Will this increase my refund?

Yes, it could increase your refund, and yes, if you filed and wish to include the additional information, you would need to file an amended return. Box 5 on a 1098 from a mortgage lender reports PMI which was eliminated as a deduction earlier this tax season, but then reinstated after the tax season was underway. 

You may add the form to see if it impacts your refund (it might not for various reason, such as you not being able to itemize). If it does result in a better refund, remove the entry and amend the return. Remove the entry either way so that your account has your tax information the way it was truly filed. (or start an amended return and delete it if there is no impact your tax)

CLICK HERE for TurboTax Tools and Tips about Amended Returns

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6603004

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Yes, it could increase your refund, and yes, if you filed and wish to include the additional information, you would need to file an amended return. Box 5 on a 1098 from a mortgage lender reports PMI which was eliminated as a deduction earlier this tax season, but then reinstated after the tax season was underway. 

You may add the form to see if it impacts your refund (it might not for various reason, such as you not being able to itemize). If it does result in a better refund, remove the entry and amend the return. Remove the entry either way so that your account has your tax information the way it was truly filed. (or start an amended return and delete it if there is no impact your tax)

CLICK HERE for TurboTax Tools and Tips about Amended Returns

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6603004

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies