stacey_ry

I just realized after I filed my taxes that I have my daughters social security number instead of my sons. Can I go back and edit after it has been filed?

LindaA

Possibly, but only if the IRS rejects the return. You can't edit a return while it is pending. 

Wait and see if the IRS rejects (or accepts) your return. If the return is rejected, you'll be able to edit the return and correct the error. Most likely the IRS will reject the return since the social security number entered will not match the name they have on file. 

Please see the FAQ below for instructions on how to open and fix a rejected return in TurboTax. Note: If the IRS accepts the return, you won't be able to e-file it. Instead, you'll have to amend the return to correct the error.

Edited 01.26.2018 I 15:26PM

LindaA

Edited 01.26.2018 I 15:26PM

LindaA

The answer was updated to add missing FAQ link.