turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aquezada

I havent recieved my refund

I filed for my refund back in 01/24 and was expecting my return in 02/14 but it is 03/23 and the "wheres my refund" tool in the Irs website still says that they are processing. I havent gotten any mail or any of the sort stating that there is something wrong with my taxes. what do i do? why are they taking so long?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

cocomoe58

i have not received mine either said it should be dd by feb.28  and like you no letter e-mail or anything.  tried to go on track my refund, butcan never get through to the irs.  turbo tax tells me nothing about them like if there was a mistake.  getting pretty nervous and mad.  i have used tt for a long time, but will never use them again.  since i paid for thier service and cannot get any.

@cocomoe58 wrote:

i have not received mine either said it should be dd by feb.28  and like you no letter e-mail or anything.  tried to go on track my refund, butcan never get through to the irs.  turbo tax tells me nothing about them like if there was a mistake.  getting pretty nervous and mad.  i have used tt for a long time, but will never use them again.  since i paid for thier service and cannot get any.

See this from the IRS - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/reasons-why-some-tax-refunds-filed-electronically-take-longer-than-21-d...

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.

If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.
See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

I filed my refund back in February and it got accepted by March 3rd. I still haven't received it. Why haven't I received my refund?

@ChristineLP wrote:

I filed my refund back in February and it got accepted by March 3rd. I still haven't received it. Why haven't I received my refund?

Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

If accepted by the IRS use the federal tax refund website to check the refund status - https://www.irs.gov/refunds

After the tax return has been Accepted by the IRS (meaning only that they received the return) it will be in the Processing mode until the tax refund has been Approved and then an Issue Date will be available on the IRS website.

Millions of taxpayers are still waiting for their tax refunds regardless of what type of service they used to file their tax returns.

Go to this IRS website for information on the status of filed tax returns - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

As of September 23, 2022, we had 6.2 million unprocessed individual returns received this year. These include tax year 2021 returns and late filed prior year returns. Of these, 1.6 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 4.6 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers, but it does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. 

How long you may have to wait: We continue to process tax returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors. For returns received in the current year, we process individual tax returns for which refunds are due first. Tax returns reflecting tax owed are processed last, but if a payment is mailed with the tax return, the payment is separated upon receipt and deposited to ensure the taxpayer account is credited for the payment. 

As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify you sent the tax return, we will send you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take more than 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and how quickly we can complete the processing of your return. Taxpayers are encouraged to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed. Whether you filed electronically or by paper, we will contact you by mail if we need more information or if we made a change to your return. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you are due a refund, filed on paper more than six months ago, and Where’s My Refund? does not indicate we received your return, you should resubmit your tax return, electronically if possible.

Make sure it includes an original signature, and include all documents submitted with the original return. Otherwise, please do not file your tax return again.  Check Where’s My Refund?, or view your account for possible updates.

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large Orange button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.
If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

Go to this IRS website for the status of filed tax returns - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

From the IRS website: 

As of September 9, 2022, we had 7.2 million unprocessed individual returns received this year. These include tax year 2021 returns and late filed prior year returns. Of these, 1.6 million returns require error correction or other special handling, and 5.6 million are paper returns waiting to be reviewed and processed. This work does not typically require us to correspond with taxpayers, but does require special handling by an IRS employee so, in these instances, it is taking the IRS more than 21 days to issue any related refund. Taxpayers are encouraged to continue to check Tax Season Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

How long you may have to wait: The IRS understands the importance of timely processing of tax returns and refund issuance. We have processed all error free returns received prior to January 2022 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors. We are continuing to reroute tax returns and taxpayer correspondence from locations that are behind to locations where more staff is available, and we are taking other actions to minimize any delays. Tax returns are opened and processed in the order received. As the return is processed, whether it was filed electronically or on paper, it may be delayed because it has a mistake including errors concerning the Recovery Rebate Credit and the Child Tax Credit, is missing information, or there is suspected identity theft or fraud. If we can fix it without contacting you, we will. If we need more information or need you to verify that it was you who sent the tax return, we will write you a letter. The resolution of these issues could take 90 to 120 days depending on how quickly and accurately you respond, and the ability of IRS staff trained and working under social distancing requirements to complete the processing of your return.

What you should do: In most instances, no further action is needed but you may check Where’s My Refund? or you can view your account. If you filed electronically and received an acknowledgement, you do not need to take any further action other than promptly responding to any requests for information. If you filed on paper, check Where’s My Refund? If it tells you we have received your return or are processing or reviewing it, we are processing your return, but it may be under review. If you filed before January 2022 and Where’s My Refund? does not have any information, your return has been opened but work on it has not begun. We’re working hard to get through the carryover inventory. Please don’t file a second tax return or contact the IRS about the status of your return.

I haven't received my refund

@bribrian1210 wrote:

I haven't received my refund

Did you e-file your tax return and was it accepted?
Only the IRS and your State control when and if a Federal or State tax refund is Approved and Issued.

You complete your tax return by finishing all 3 Steps in the File section. In Step 3, to e-file your tax return, you must click on the large button labeled "Transmit my returns now".

After completing the File section and e-filing your tax return you will receive two emails from TurboTax. The first email when your tax return was transmitted and the second email when the tax return has either been accepted or rejected.

Note - Once a tax return has been Accepted by the IRS or a State, TurboTax receives no further information concerning the tax return or the status of any tax refund.  Only the taxpayer listed on the tax return can obtain the status of a tax refund or a tax return.

To check the status of an e-filed return, open up your desktop product or log into your TurboTax Online Account. You can find your status within the TurboTax product.

If accepted by the state use this TurboTax support FAQ to check the state tax refund status - https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899433-how-do-i-track-my-state-refund

See this IRS website for federal tax refund FAQ's - https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

IRS - When to Call Us

Call us about your refund status only if Where's My Refund directs you to contact us.

IRS phone numbers and tax help options

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies