kan9

I have mailed my state and federal 2019 amended return on April 1st. The state deposited my check but federal status is not available online. How would I know if its ok?

I did not receive return receipt for my federal return. Should I file federal return again? If yes, can I do it online.

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending.  When the IRS issues a refund for an amended return it will be by check.  They do not make direct deposits for refunds for amended returns.  You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

The IRS does not send a receipt when they receive a tax return.

It will take the IRS 4 to 6 months or longer to process a mailed amended tax return.  Do NOT send another amended return as it will delay the process even further.

Go to this IRS website for the status of an amended tax return - https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return