turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have already filed my taxes, but just learned that my unemployment benefits are non taxable for 2020. How do i fix my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

I have already filed my taxes, but just learned that my unemployment benefits are non taxable for 2020. How do i fix my return?

You will have to file an amended return but you will have to wait a bit. 

1. The IRS hasn't yet finalized the amended return (1040X) for 2020.  We expect it to be available in TurboTax the end of March.  

2. The provisions of the new legislation have not yet been incorporated into the 1040 by the IRS.
  3. If you have already filed you have to wait until the IRS either rejects or accepts your return.  If the IRS accepts your return, however, then you have to wait longer until it has been fully processed and you have received your refund.  THEN you can prepare an amended tax return.

Please see the instructions contained in these TurboTax articles to amend your return: 

the IRS has not yet provided guidance on this issue. the two possibilities are that an amended return will need to be filed or it will automatically correct your filing and issue any additional refund. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies