bubbaaaa

I have a long term capital loss (over $10,000, don't know the exact amount) that I forgot to claim on my 2019 and 2020 tax returns. How can I amend these tax returns?

Mike9241

why don't you know the exact amount?  how do you expect the IRS not to change your returns if you apply the incorrect amount?  you can get transcripts of prior year returns using the IRS website so you will be able to find the correct CLCO.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

you have to amend 2019 to claim the CLCO - skipping years is not allowed. once you know the CLCO from 2019, you can amend 2020

Mike9241

bubbaaaa

Mike,

Thanks for the quick!!! reply. I don't know the exact amount because I don't have access to my old returns at the moment. Just curious, does the acronym CLCO mean Capital Loss Carry Over? I will file an amendment for my 2019 return. Can I file the 2020 amendment as soon as I have determined the capital loss carryover on the 2019 amended return?

I appreciate your assistance.