turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a J1 visa, but I submitted my Tax return then I realize I cannot do tax return on Turbo tax. What can I do to cancel my tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

I have a J1 visa, but I submitted my Tax return then I realize I cannot do tax return on Turbo tax. What can I do to cancel my tax return?

If your Efile has been Accepted, you can't cancel your return.  You could try contacting the IRS at 800-829-1040 about your situation.

However, if your Efile is Rejected, that means your tax return was not submitted to the IRS. 

Click the link for more info on how to check your Efile status

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you for your answer.

If I call the IRS to explain my situation, will they cancel my tax return?

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

You will need to amend your return if your Efile is accepted.  If it is not accepted, do not correct it and resubmit. Instead, do the following:

You will need to complete a nonresident return and print it and attach it to your amended return(1040X).  TurboTax does not support nonresident returns however we have a partnership with 

Sprintax.  They offer nonresident tax filing solutions to our TurboTax customers.

To amend your 1040 resident return.

1. Print a copy of 1040X (amended return) on the IRS website.  The amended 1040X form is not finalized so you will need to wait until it is finalized.
  2. Make sure you check the box to show the tax year that you are amending on the Form 1040X.
  3. Enter your name, current address, and social security number (SSN) or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) on the front of Form 1040X.
  4. Don’t enter any other information on page 1. Also, don’t complete Parts I or II on page 2 of Form 1040X.
  5. Enter in Part III the reason why you are filing Form 1040X
  6. Complete a new or corrected return (Form 1040, Form 1040NR, etc.). 
  7. Across the top of the new or corrected return, write “Amended.” 
  8. Attach the new or corrected return to the back of Form 1040X.

Please see page 7 of the 2019 1040X Instructions

Form 1040X - 2019 Draft 1040X

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies