turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sumita71
Returning Member

I have 2 loans....one main loan for $1.1M and one home equity loan for $800K for last few months of 2016 at a higher rate. How can optimize use of the $1.1M limit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
BobB7

I have 2 loans....one main loan for $1.1M and one home equity loan for $800K for last few months of 2016 at a higher rate. How can optimize use of the $1.1M limit?

You really don't have a lot of flexibility here.  Assuming that you legitimately have 1.1 million of home acquisition debt, then you claim the interest on the first million of that there and interest on 100,000 of the home equity debt, making sure that you make an AMT adjustment for that part.

sumita71
Returning Member

Got it - the $800K home equity loan was only originated in Oct, 2016.....so can I only deduct interest on the $100K for ~3 months or can I somehow deduct a higher amount to account for fact it's not an entire year?
BobB7

No, just what you pay each month subject to a 100000 (principal amount) cap each month.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies