turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I had paid taxes on unemployment benefits in 2020. How do I now get the first 10,200 of tax payments reimbursed or reflected prior to filing?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I had paid taxes on unemployment benefits in 2020. How do I now get the first 10,200 of tax payments reimbursed or reflected prior to filing?

Hang tight. We are waiting for the IRS to provide guidance on how you can claim these additional American Rescue Plan benefits soon. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
kkzhang781123
Returning Member

I still could not find out how to get the first 10,200 of tax free of my unemployment benefits.

It is automatic.  Unless your AGI is over $150,000 then you don't qualify.  Just enter the 1099G.  Or did you already file?  

The exclusion will be on Schedule 1 Line 8 as a negative number. Your unemployment compensation will be on Line 7 of Schedule 1. The result flows to Form 1040 Line 8.

If the exclusion is not showing up then delete the 1099G and re enter it.

If you already filed and didn't get the 10,200 unemployment exclusion you do not need to amend. The IRS will be adjusting it for you. See,
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

You don't need to do anything about that. Tax software does it automatically. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies