qwertyjoe

I got EIC but got less in my return than past years due to unemployment. Under new rules, will I automatically get an additional refund? Should I file an amendment?

I was already eligible for EIC even though I had taxable unemployment income in 2020 (about 16k between me and my spouse, less than 10k each) However, the unemployment made my EIC and total refund less than usual. With the law change, will I be getting a greater refund or since I already got EIC is that it? Should I file an ammendment in this situation or just wait?

NO ... do NOT amend.  When the IRS corrects the return for the unemployment exclusion they will also adjust the EIC since the credit was already on the original return.  

Mike9241

much information is lacking and what the numbers you are providing represent are unclear. The EIC is computed based on the number of children, earned income, adjusted gross income and having investment income under $3650. UC is not earned income.