I got a letter from the irs stating that my refund is under review due to the new irs program. What does that mean?

Didn't say they where holding it and they where prseccing it.

be prepared to wait forever is all i can say

The letter should be clear.

Your return is being reviewed or "looked at" to verify that it is an accurate return.  This is not the same as an audit, it is a manual review.

The letter should tell you exactly what you need to do and how long you have to do it.  If you do not need to do anything, it should say that as well and give a time frame for when you might hear from them again.