I forgot to include the carryover long term capital losses from 2014. Now I am filing the 2016 taxes, using TurboTax, how can I include the long term losses?

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I forgot to include the carryover long term capital losses from 2014. Now I am filing the 2016 taxes, using TurboTax, how can I include the long term losses?

When reporting 2015 taxes using TurboTax, I forgot to include long term capital loss carryover from 2014.  Can I use the long term capital carryover in filing 2016 taxes?  Or do I need to amend 2015 taxes to show long term capital loss carryover before I use it in 2016?

1 Reply
Level 15

You should amend the 2015 return as $3,000 can be used there first or more as it can first offset capital gains for that year.

In TurboTax to enter it, you do the following:

Click on Federal Taxes

Click on Wages and Income

Click on I'll choose what I work on

Scroll down to Investments

On Capital Loss Carryforward click the start or update button

I would first amend the 2015 return to have the correct amount of the carryforward.

See below for amending:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings