turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I forgot to add my 1098 T what do i do?

This feature is pending. Thanks for your patience.
Didn't get the answer you wanted? Talk to a live expert to get the help you need.
4 Replies
New Member

I forgot to add my 1098 T what do i do?

Have you already filed your return?

I forgot to add my 1098 T what do i do?

New Member

I forgot to add my 1098 T what do i do?

You can amend your return if you forgot to enter info or need to add any additional info to your return. Please use the steps below to amend your return and enter your 1098-T.

To File an Amended Return:

1. Wait for your return to be accepted or rejected by the IRS

2. Log into your account, and at your tax timeline select your "2016 Tax Year"

3. Select to "Amend (Change) 2016 return" and follow the directions


To Enter your Education Expenses for form 1098-T:

1. Select "Federal Taxes" at the top of the page

2. Select the "Deductions & Credits" sub-tab

3. Scroll down to "Education Expenses" and select "Show More"

4. Select "Start" next to "Expenses and Scholarships (Form 1098-T)"

I forgot to add my 1098 T what do i do?

If you are accepted, you will need to amend your tax return. Amending your return means filing a new form, 1040-X. This is only required in certain situations. 

In other situations, you can change your original return, and you should not file a new form.

Don't amend if:

  • You haven’t actually e-filed or mailed your return yet. Just open your return and make any changes, and file when you're ready.
  • Your e-filed return is rejected. Just make your changes and then resubmit or mail your return.
  • Your e-filed return is still pending. Wait until the return is accepted before amending. If rejected, just make your changes and then resubmit or mail your return.
  • You received a government notice that doesn't specifically tell you to amend (e.g. math error corrections, request for additional forms, etc.). Just follow the instructions in the notification.
  • You entered the wrong bank account to get your refund. More info
  • You received Forms 1095-B or 1095-C and the info matches what you reported on your return. 

On the other hand, you will need to amend if you already mailed your return (or the government accepted your e-file) and:

  • You need to report a tax form you forgot about or received post-filing (most commonly a W-2, 1099, or 1095-A).
  • You received a corrected tax form after filing (the "corrected" box is checked) and the new info changes your refund or tax due amount.
  • You forgot to report income or claim dependents, deductions, or credits.
  • You accidentally claimed dependents, deductions, or credits you're not eligible for.
  • You made an error that affects your bottom line, such as reporting income or deductions in 2016 that should've been claimed in a prior tax year (in that case, you'll need to amend all affected tax years).
  • You need to change your filing status (e.g., you want to change from Single to Head of Household).
  • We instructed you to amend because of a program error (uncommon).

Here is a link that shows you how to amend your return on TurboTax:


message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies