turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dkadri

I filed my taxes via mail in July 2020 and there has been no update/communication from the IRS. How can I follow up?

My dependent has filed their 1040 as single when they should have checked can also be a dependent. We filed a 1040x for them in July as well via mail. Still have heard nothing. Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I filed my taxes via mail in July 2020 and there has been no update/communication from the IRS. How can I follow up?

Sorry the IRS has limited staff due to Covid-19.  They didn't start opening the mail until June that's been stacking up. Back in March the IRS closed their processing centers and stopped processing mailed tax returns.  An IRS spokesperson recently said that they have about 11 million pieces of unopened mail.  The IRS says....."We’re experiencing delays in processing paper tax returns due to limited staffing. If you already filed a paper return, we will process it in the order we received it."  So it may take longer if you mailed in June or later.  So you have to keep waiting for both of them.  Did you mail your return and his amended in separate envelopes?

See this IRS page for the latest information

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operations-during-covid-19-mission-critical-functions-continue

Dkadri1

Thanks for the reply @VolvoGirl yes I mailed it in seperate envelopes and I made note in the 1040W.

Dkadri1

I'm just wondering if I should try filing 1040W electronically now that it is a possibility.

NO!  Do not file or efile again.  The IRS says not to.  That will just confuse them.  Anyway it's too late to efile now.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies