I filed my taxes through TurboTax back in March an...

rafang25

I filed my taxes through TurboTax back in March and received my State refund promptly, but still have not received my Federal refund. Why is this the case?

I did receive a request to submit my medical insurance purchases throughout the year, which i had submitted. Could this be the hold up? Why would this affect federal refunds and not state refunds?
Texas Roger

The IRS quit processing any mailed or faxed documents around the time you probably sent your medical insurance papers. The IRS is way behind processing all tax returns and has many returns stacked up in trailers unopened. The state did not need the papers you sent the IRS so they processed your return and sent your refund without the need for anything else.

There is no way to know when the IRS will get to your return. All you can do is track the status using the IRS tracking web site: https://www.irs.gov/refunds

Here is how the IRS processes returns: https://www.irs.gov/refunds/tax-season-refund-frequently-asked-questions

rafang25

@Texas Roger  Thanks for the quick reply. So it could very well just be a hold up due to the mail in forms rather than there being an error on my return then? Appreciate the response.

Texas Roger

Yes it is likely a holdup due to the mail in forms not yet being processed.