jonmareymo

I filed my taxes then received my 1099 in the mail. I amended them but need to know the next step. A few days ago my return was direct-deposited. How do I pay the diff?

AndreaC1

Amended returns have to be printed and mailed. They can't be e-filed per IRS regulation. Since you have already received your refund, if you now owe taxes, you will mail that payment along with the amended return or make payment on IRS's website here www.irs.gov/Payments  Or if the refund meter shows an additional refund, they will send you that once they process the amended return. If you have done the amend steps and you need to get back in and print the return so that you can mail it. The steps to do so can be found below. 

NOTE: The amend instructions for 2017 can be found here How to amend (change or correct) a return you already filed; if needed.

Detailed Instructions for Printing in TurboTax Online:
  • Log in to your account and click on Amend (change) return.
  • Click on the Amend using TurboTax Online button.
  • Select the Tax Tools to the left and choose Print Center.
  • Click Print save or preview this year’s return.
  • Click View or Print.
  • Mail to the address specified in your return.
Detailed Instructions for Printing TurboTax CD/Download software:
  • Open your amended return.
  • Click on File and then Print.
Once you mail an amended return, it can take up to 3 weeks before it shows up in the IRS's system. So give it that amount of time before you start checking for any updates on it. After 3 weeks, you can go here Where’s My Amended Return? to check the status of it. 

Amended returns can take up to 16 weeks to be processed once they receive it. And you can find a list of frequently asked questions, about amended returns, here Form 1040X, Amended U.S. individual Income Tax Return, Frequently Asked Questions  

Other Related Topics:

AndreaC1

• Click View or Print.
  • Open your amended return.
  • Click on File and then Print.

Other Related Topics: