turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cat1

I filed my taxes last night, but on #5 put the personal exemption. I am a college student and my parents claim me as a dependent. Do I need to file a corrected return?

They are filing their return soon
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed my taxes last night, but on #5 put the personal exemption. I am a college student and my parents claim me as a dependent. Do I need to file a corrected return?

I should have said I was a dependent but I claimed myself

Did you say you could not be claimed as someone else’s dependent, but it turns out your parent(s) can claim you?  Now your parents’ return is being rejected when they e-file, or it will be rejected.  That means your parents must print, sign, and mail their return.  They can still claim you as a dependent, but they cannot e-file now.  

Your part in fixing this is to wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received you refund.  THEN you need to file an amended return, called a 1040X, to change the way you answered that question in Personal Info about whether you can be claimed as someone else’s dependent.  You will have to print and mail the 1040X—it cannot be e-filed. You might need to repay some of your refund.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-the-2016-taxes-i-filed-with-turbotax-online

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

1 Reply

I should have said I was a dependent but I claimed myself

Did you say you could not be claimed as someone else’s dependent, but it turns out your parent(s) can claim you?  Now your parents’ return is being rejected when they e-file, or it will be rejected.  That means your parents must print, sign, and mail their return.  They can still claim you as a dependent, but they cannot e-file now.  

Your part in fixing this is to wait until your return has been fully processed and you have received you refund.  THEN you need to file an amended return, called a 1040X, to change the way you answered that question in Personal Info about whether you can be claimed as someone else’s dependent.  You will have to print and mail the 1040X—it cannot be e-filed. You might need to repay some of your refund.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2952222-how-do-i-amend-the-2016-taxes-i-filed-with-turbotax-online

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies