Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

I filed my taxes incorrectly

I incorrectly put that I have student loans I don't have student loans because i got a Pell Grant but I thought that was a student loan so I put that while filing taxes how do I fix this

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

I filed my taxes incorrectly

If the return was already filed, you will need to wait until it has been processed and you have received your refund or confirmation that any tax due was paid. (If you file an amended return while your first return is being processed, it can cause extended delays for both returns)

Amended returns can only be mailed. It is suggested that it be mailed certified with return receipt (or other tracking service) to verify that the IRS receives it.

You can check the status of the amended return here, but allow 3 weeks after mailing.

If the IRS would reject your return for any reason, then you would be able to go in and make any necessary changes to your tax return and resubmit.

How do I fix a rejected return?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member

I filed my taxes incorrectly

I got it sorted out thank you I replied to email instead of the post that's why didn't respond lol sorry

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings