Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

shawneeis

I filed my taxes before the tax relief passed for unemployment. I am trying to file an amended return to claim new credits and it says I am getting $0 back. Why??

I don't understand why this is happening. I was told to file an amended return to claim these new credits and I really do not understand why it says $0. I know I am owed more money. I don't know what to do. I tried calling Turbotax and the lady I spoke with didn't even know what was going on, she tried to transfer me to someone who could help but I was greeted with a recording telling me I needed to upgrade for $119 to talk to someone else. So it hung up on me. I don't know what to do. This is very frustrating.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I filed my taxes before the tax relief passed for unemployment. I am trying to file an amended return to claim new credits and it says I am getting $0 back. Why??

Here is why you do NOT amend your federal return for unemployment:

Please read this very recent news from the IRS:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-to-recalculate-taxes-on-unemployment-benefits-refunds-to-start-in-m...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
shawneeis

@xmasbaby0 thank you but it says to file an amended return for new credits and deductions which is why I have been trying to file an amended return. I got an email from TurboTax recommending it and even the link you posted says to file an amended return for new tax credits etc. 

What credits are you trying to get?   The new child tax credit is not for 2020---so do not amend for that.  The increased CTC is only for 2021.  Amending your 2020 return will not increase your 2020 child tax credit.  If you received EIC on your original return the IRS will recalculate your EIC when they sort out the unemployment.   If you did not receive EIC originally and think you may be able to get it now, then that is a reason to amend.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
shawneeis

@xmasbaby0 yes that is the problem. I did not qualify for the EITC before and I do now that my unemployment isn’t taxed. So I am trying to file an amended return and it keeps saying $0 which is not true. I paid taxes on my unemployment already because I filed before this tax relief was passed. So I know I should be getting money back. I don’t understand why his program is giving the ring information. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies