turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed my taxes a couple days ago and did not add my car mileage deduction on my account. I updated it today, will it still be accepted with my update included?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I filed my taxes a couple days ago and did not add my car mileage deduction on my account. I updated it today, will it still be accepted with my update included?

Not if you already filed your return.  If you have already filed, you have to wait for the IRS to either accept or reject your tax return.  If rejected you can add your mileage deductions and re-submit.

If accepted, then you have to wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes owed that were paid to be processed by the IRS.  Then you will have to file an amended tax return, Form 1040X, to add the deduction.  

Please note that car mileage is only deductible if you are self-employed.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Not if you already filed your return.  If you have already filed, you have to wait for the IRS to either accept or reject your tax return.  If rejected you can add your mileage deductions and re-submit.

If accepted, then you have to wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes owed that were paid to be processed by the IRS.  Then you will have to file an amended tax return, Form 1040X, to add the deduction.  

Please note that car mileage is only deductible if you are self-employed.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies