mfrigo74

I filed 2018 taxes for my xhusband. He sent me a notarized paper giving me permission to file his 2018 taxes and to answer any questions on his behalf.

You will need to call the IRS, or visit a local office, and ask them what is the best way to handle the situation.  There may be paperwork you need to take to him in jail, or maybe the power of attorney will be satisfactory along with verifying your own identity.  But you need to speak directly with the IRS.

Do you have a question?
mfrigo74

I got a idenity verification in mail and ive tried doing it online and get nowhere. So what do i need to do
Lisa995

Have your X do the identity verification since its his return and his identity.
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
mfrigo74

He is in jail and gave me power of attorney

Why did you not file Joint?

"x husband"

Missed that.
mfrigo74

I got it figured out thank u. I have appointment with irs tomorrow to bring documents and they r going to fix it.