aanelso

I failed to enter a pre payment on my 1040 this year. We are expecting a refund and have yet to get it after IRS sent note wanting proof of the payment.

Proof was sent in August, which would actually increase our refund, yet we have not been contacted by IRS again. Our state refund has already been processed and been received.
Mike9241

if there's a phone number on the notice, call to see if they got the proof. however, paper filings are taking the IRS 4 months or more to process. 

fanfare

Expect to wait 90 to 120 days after responding to an IRS request for information.

The IRS backlog this year is really severe.

Do not call. The agents answering the phone will not have any information for you.

I don't understand how the IRS can be asking you for proof of payment if the prepayment wasn't even on your return?   Is there another payment showing on another line?   Do you agree with all the other amounts listed on your return?   Maybe they were asking about something else like proof of withholding.

If you missed entering an estimated payment or extension payment the IRS would automatically catch that and add it to your refund.

aanelso

Yes there is another payment on line line 25b from 1099 (withholding from IRA distributions). Yes, we agree with all other entries on 1040. 

It could be Covid delayed....I am guessing. But this has been way too long. 

Wondering if there is another avenue that I should follow to get some movement on this refund.

Thanks.

fanfare

IRS has over 7 million returns  held up that need review by a human.

That doesn't include any of the recent returns filed on or about extension day Oct 15.

You are in the "pipeline", but it is clogged.