tspear14

I entered the wrong federal withholding, which gave me a very large refund which I should not have received. What can I do to correct this, and am I going to jail?

KatrinaB

Don't worry, you just need to file an amended return to change the federal withholding on your w-2 form. 

Follow the directions in the TurboTax FAQ below to prepare an amended return.

Note: You are required to mail your amended return. This type of return is not eligible for e-file.

tspear14

Will they send a bill for the refund once they process the amended return? Penalties?
KatrinaB

No, you must pay the difference in the refund amount and mail the payment with your amended return. The balance due will be listed on line 20 of your amended return Form 1040X.
KatrinaB

As long as you mail your amended return and payment by 04/15/2019, you will not owe any fines or penalties.