john-keller

I didn't file my 2016 taxes. do I need to do that before doing my 2017 return?

No.  You can file your 2017 tax return without filing the 2016 tax return.  Where asked on the 2017 tax return for the 2016 AGI enter a 0 (zero).

You should file your 2016 tax return as soon as possible if you have taxes owed since the penalties for failure to file and failure to pay plus interest are accruing.  However, if you have a tax refund for 2016 there are no penalties for filing after the due date.

Go to this TurboTax website to purchase and download one of the 2016 desktop editions - https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2016 tax return can only be printed and mailed, it cannot be e-filed.

fanfare

depending on the complexity of your tax situation, certain amounts can carry over from your prior year tax return to this year.

fanfare

at this late date, don't worry about it. as the program would say, "this is uncommon".