turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mpasi0761

I did not qualify for stimulus because my Form 1040 Standard Deduction x'd my ex spouse as a dependent. Can I amend this so I do qualify for the stimulus?

Have not received the 2nd or 3rd stimulus checks due to my "spouse" being dependent.  We've been separated for over two years with the divorce still in the works, how can I change this for an amended filing?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I did not qualify for stimulus because my Form 1040 Standard Deduction x'd my ex spouse as a dependent. Can I amend this so I do qualify for the stimulus?

A spouse can never be a dependent. You have to file as either married jointly or married separately. But if you have a qualifying child living with you then you can file as head of household. 

mpasi0761

Well, when I filled everything out on Turbo tax, it recommended that I file as single…however I don’t remember putting my spouse as a dependent. I don’t know if it auto-generated or what I did on the form for it to say my spouse is a dependent. Obviously the system recommended I file using Standard Deduction - but I didn’t put my spouse as a dependent. I don’t how that happened, but I was told by a rep at IRS that the reason I didn’t qualify is because my “spouse” was claimed as a dependent. Is there a way to diz that? I’ve tried doing an amended form, however it doesn’t list a standard deduction field in the form. I just need to fix that. Any idea on how I can?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies