nilremmai

I did not know I could claim the money I paid for health insurance or union dues, so I would like to do an amendment for the last three years

these 2 deductions more than quadrupled my normal return, problem is I used TT last year but not 2 or 3 yrs back, can I use TT for all 3 years amendments? Thank you, David Dodd

PatriciaR

You can use TurboTax to amend a tax return even if your original return was created with another software, by a tax preparer, or even by hand using pencil and paper.

You'll need to create a copy of your past year return in the TurboTax program for that year, and then amend that tax return copy with your changes. These are the steps to download TurboTax and recreate your tax return for amendment:

1. Purchase a copy of TurboTax for the tax year you need to amend. There will be a fee if you haven’t already purchased the past year’s program.
  2. Install the software on your computer.
  3. Create the tax return as it was originally filed.
    • This is not when you make the corrections. Be sure to use the same filing status and include the same dependents as reported on the original return.
    • Include the same income and deduction items.
    • Make sure the final refund or amount due matches. If it doesn’t, review all the items on your return to check for mistyped numbers, or missing or extra items.
    • Save a copy of your return before amending it.
  4. Once you’ve recreated your original tax return in TurboTax, make a copy of the return using File – Save As, adding “amended” to the beginning of the file name.  
  5. Start your amended return.

Please see this TurboTax FAQ for amending 2016:

PatriciaR

5. Start your amended return.