redlindsaym

I did not include my auto registration on my taxes. Can I amend my report?

I did not include my auto registration as an oversight.  Can I amend my taxes and is it worth it?

MiriamF

The cost of your auto registration is deductible if you are claiming actual expenses for the business use of your vehicle.

Whether it is worthwhile for you to file an amendment is up to you. There is no charge, since the form must be mailed to the IRS, not e-filed. The savings will be equal to your marginal tax rate times the cost of the registration. If you are self-employed, you will save another 15% of the registration. If you are an employee, the difference will depend upon whether your work expenses exceed the 2% of AGI floor.

MiriamF