scottamberspahr

I did not claim points paid on a mortgage that originated in 2015. Should I file an amendment for 2015?

I refinanced this mortgage in January 2017.

DawnC0

You should amend your 2015 return only if the deduction makes a difference on your return; points are an itemized deduction.  If you didn't itemize, then they probably will not make much of, if any difference on your return.

You can deduct any "points", which are a form of advance interest that you pay to get a lower rate.  If the deduction increases your refund amount, then yes, you should file an amendment.  

DawnC0