• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottamberspahr

I did not claim points paid on a mortgage that originated in 2015. Should I file an amendment for 2015?

I refinanced this mortgage in January 2017.
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

I did not claim points paid on a mortgage that originated in 2015. Should I file an amendment for 2015?

You should amend your 2015 return only if the deduction makes a difference on your return; points are an itemized deduction.  If you didn't itemize, then they probably will not make much of, if any difference on your return.

You can deduct any "points", which are a form of advance interest that you pay to get a lower rate.  If the deduction increases your refund amount, then yes, you should file an amendment.  

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

You should amend your 2015 return only if the deduction makes a difference on your return; points are an itemized deduction.  If you didn't itemize, then they probably will not make much of, if any difference on your return.

You can deduct any "points", which are a form of advance interest that you pay to get a lower rate.  If the deduction increases your refund amount, then yes, you should file an amendment.  

View solution in original post

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v