I claimed a Traditional IRA deduction for 2016 return and missed the deadline for making the contribution. Do I need to file an amendment or is there some other form or?

Yes you must amend the return ...

If you’ve already filed your tax return and then discovered information that needs to be updated or changed, your next step is to wait to see if the IRS accepts the original tax return before you do anything else.

·         If the IRS accepts your current year tax return, submit an amended 2015 tax return to correct mistake.  Note, it is recommended that you also wait until you receive your refund, if one is due, before you file the amendment.

·         If the IRS rejects your current year tax return, you'll have the opportunity to fix the mistake using TurboTax and then e-file the corrected version.

·         To check the status of your tax return, use the "Where's my Refund" tool provided by the IRS in the following link.https://www.irs.gov/Refunds 

Important: To learn more about amending your tax return, please review the information in the following link.https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908543-do-i-need-to-amend-my-tax-return

Click or tap a tax year for specific amending instructions.

·         2016

·         2015

·         2014

·         2013

Related Information:

·         What does it mean to "amend" a return?

·         Do I Need to Amend my Tax Return?

·         Will amending delay my original tax refund?

·         What is the deadline for filing an amended return?

·         Can I e-file my 1040X to amend my return?

GEN12781

Answered by TurboTax FAQ to this question

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing