Wait a couple of weeks. You can't file your tax return until late January or early February anyway. If the bank rejected the deposit to your old account, the IRS will mail you a check or a debit card for the payment. It will take a couple of weeks for the mailed payment to get to you.
If you don't get the payment by the end of January, there is no separate form for claiming the credit on your tax return. It's just a line on Form 1040 (line 30). At the beginning of the Federal Review, TurboTax will ask whether you received the stimulus payment. If you didn't, TurboTax will give you the credit on your tax return for the amount of the stimulus payment.
If you were eligible for the first or second stimulus payment but did not receive the full amount you qualify for, you’ll be able to get the missing funds as a tax credit when you file your 2020 taxes. TurboTax will guide you through the process.
To do this in TurboTax, please follow these steps:
- Enter the information in your return.
- Click Federal Review at the top of your screen.
- On the screen, Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
- You will be asked about the amounts of first round and second round stimulus payments you received.
- TurboTax will then calculate the amount of stimulus payment remaining that you are still entitled to. This will show as a credit on line 30 of the 1040.