west2js

I called the IRS. They said just to print off the “Injured Spouse” form, fill it out, and mail it in. Is there anything specific that needs to be on the form?

JohnB5677

The injured spouse on a jointly filed tax return files Form 8379 to get back their share of the joint refund when the joint overpayment is applied to a past-due obligation of the other spouse.

Injured Spouse instructions    Form 8379 (PDF)

west2js

Due to the COVID and no place to print things off. Can the Injured Spouse form be filled out and amended on the Turbo Tax website instead?

SForrestLO

No, If you are filing the Injured Spouse Form on its own (after e-filing your return), you will mail it to the IRS location for your state.  Include a copy of all W-2 forms and any 1099 forms showing federal tax withholding, for both spouses.  You can find the mailing address for your location using this link (use the 'not including a payment' address):   IRS Mailing Addresses for Injured Spouse Form

west2js

I filed the injured spouse form for my taxes and I’m waiting for that money to comeback to me. Now the stimulus check was taken. Do I need to fill out another Injured spouse form so get that money back to? 

VictorW9

When claiming injured spouse relief, your return will normally take around 8-12 weeks to process. However, if you filed for 2018 you will get your stimulus money and is not contingent of any outstanding debts you owe the IRS or any other government agency such as for student loan or child support. The issue you may have is that your stimulus payment will be made based on your filing status for 2018 which might have been married filing jointly(MFJ).