• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
krios8

I called the IRS and they have no copy on my amended taxes what can i do?

i owe money but not sure how to go about
1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Opus 17
Level 15

Amended returns can't be e-filed by Turbotax, they must be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS.  Turbotax does not have a printing service and can't sign your name.   

If you did mail your amended returns and the IRS has no record, and it has been at least 6 weeks, you can print and mail them again. 

If you did not mail your amended return, print and mail it now.  You may want to use a postal service with tracking.  Remember that your amended state tax return (if you need to amend your state) must also be printed and mailed, and goes to a different address. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DoninGA
Level 15

Did you print and mail the federal amended tax return, Form 1040X?  It cannot be e-filed.
If the amended return was printed and mailed to the IRS did you use this website to check the status - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-return">https://www.irs.gov/filing/wheres-my-amended-re...>
krios8

Does that print when we amend our taxes?
DoninGA
Level 15

After the amended tax return was completed you were prompted by the software to either print the amended tax return or save the amended tax return as a PDF to be printed at a later date.
Opus 17
Level 15

Amended returns can't be e-filed by Turbotax, they must be printed, signed and mailed to the IRS.  Turbotax does not have a printing service and can't sign your name.   

If you did mail your amended returns and the IRS has no record, and it has been at least 6 weeks, you can print and mail them again. 

If you did not mail your amended return, print and mail it now.  You may want to use a postal service with tracking.  Remember that your amended state tax return (if you need to amend your state) must also be printed and mailed, and goes to a different address. 

*Answers are correct to the best of my ability at the time of posting but do not constitute legal or tax advice.*
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v