The stimulus check is an advance on a credit you can receive on your 2020 tax return. If something went wrong or you did not get the stimulus check in 2020, you can get it when you file your 2020 return in early 2021
The Recovery Rebate Credit will be found in the FEDERAL REVIEW section. ( you should see "Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount”) If you are eligible it will end up on line 30 of your 2020 Form 1040.
Make sure that you enter ALL of the stimulus money received for the 1st ad 2nd stimulus for yourself, your spouse and your children.
Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the screen. Click on Tools. Click on View Tax Summary. Click on Preview my 1040 on the left side of the screen.
Even if you are not “prompted” to enter the stimulus information, you can access to the section directly by following these steps:
- Sign in to your account, select Pick up where you left off
- At the right upper corner, in the search box, type in "stimulus" and Enter
- Select Jump to stimulus
- Follow prompts
The stimulus payments are now based on your 2020 tax return. The IRS will no longer use your 2019 tax return, amended or not, to determine eligibility for the stimulus payments.
If you have not received the stimulus payments for your dependents, you have to claim them as the Recovery Rebate credit on your 2020 tax return.
In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:
- Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
- Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
- On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
- Follow the interview
- TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
- Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"