Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

michael12

I amended a return (fed, NY & NJ) to remove a dependent claim so that my ex-wife could claim my son. I did this because I believed that my income was too high to benefit

from the deduction. However, now my refund (on the left side of Turbo Tax screen) reset to zero. Is that because the refund was processed and there's no change to it or did my refund actually change to zero?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I amended a return (fed, NY & NJ) to remove a dependent claim so that my ex-wife could claim my son. I did this because I believed that my income was too high to benefit

You are still receiving your original refund amount

The tax calculator on Turbo Tax resets to zero when you start the amend process.

The amount on your 1040-X is usually either additional refund (Line 22) or an amount due that has to be paid back to the IRS (Line 20). 

However, since you stated that your income was too high to benefit from claiming your son, there would not be a change to your taxes.  If you are removing information that had zero effect on your tax return, then removing it would also have zero effect.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You are still receiving your original refund amount

The tax calculator on Turbo Tax resets to zero when you start the amend process.

The amount on your 1040-X is usually either additional refund (Line 22) or an amount due that has to be paid back to the IRS (Line 20). 

However, since you stated that your income was too high to benefit from claiming your son, there would not be a change to your taxes.  If you are removing information that had zero effect on your tax return, then removing it would also have zero effect.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies