turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gsetia

I am filling my taxes but having trouble with dependent tax benefits. My wife wasn't employed for the entire year and I have a daughter who is 3 years old but the max tax benefit i am getting is 500 and last year i got 1000. I was expecting it to be $2000

I am filling my taxes but having trouble with dependent tax benefits. My wife wasn't employed for the entire year and I have a daughter who is 3 years old but the max tax benefit i am getting is 500 and last year i got 1000. I was expecting it to be $2000 but not sure where its going wrong.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

I am filling my taxes but having trouble with dependent tax benefits. My wife wasn't employed for the entire year and I have a daughter who is 3 years old but the max tax benefit i am getting is 500 and last year i got 1000. I was expecting it to be $2000

There were a number of changes to the tax law starting in 2018 including changes to the child tax credit.  According to the new law, a dependent must have a social security number to be eligible for the child tax credit.

However, they created another credit for dependents that allows for the dependent to have an ITIN.  This credit is for $500.  Please see below for information on the new tax changes.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6971774

View solution in original post

4 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Does your daughter have an ITIN instead of a SSN?
gsetia

She doesn't have SSN, its ITIN.
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

There were a number of changes to the tax law starting in 2018 including changes to the child tax credit.  According to the new law, a dependent must have a social security number to be eligible for the child tax credit.

However, they created another credit for dependents that allows for the dependent to have an ITIN.  This credit is for $500.  Please see below for information on the new tax changes.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/6971774

gsetia

Thanks for clarifying.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies