Solved: I am filling my taxes but having trouble with dependent tax benefits. My wife wasn't employed for the entire year and I have a daughter who is 3 years old but the max tax benefit i am getting is 500 and last year i got 1000. I was expecting it to be $2000

I am filling my taxes but having trouble with dependent tax benefits. My wife wasn't employed for the entire year and I have a daughter who is 3 years old but the max tax benefit i am getting is 500 and last year i got 1000. I was expecting it to be $2000

I am filling my taxes but having trouble with dependent tax benefits. My wife wasn't employed for the entire year and I have a daughter who is 3 years old but the max tax benefit i am getting is 500 and last year i got 1000. I was expecting it to be $2000 but not sure where its going wrong.

There were a number of changes to the tax law starting in 2018 including changes to the child tax credit.  According to the new law, a dependent must have a social security number to be eligible for the child tax credit.

However, they created another credit for dependents that allows for the dependent to have an ITIN.  This credit is for $500.  Please see below for information on the new tax changes.

Does your daughter have an ITIN instead of a SSN?

She doesn't have SSN, its ITIN.

Thanks for clarifying.