Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!

I am filing my kid as a dependent but ha had a job and a W-2 the prior year, how do i file his returns?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

PatriciaR

You do not enter your child's earned income from wages reported on a W-2 on your tax return.

Your child is not required to file a tax return if their earned income reported on a W-2 was less than $6,300.  If your child's W-2, for 2016 had federal income tax withheld, they should file a federal income tax return to get money back (refund). TurboTax Online has a Free Edition they may be able to use.

If your child chooses to complete an income tax return, it is important that they choose the following options

• Someone else can claim me as a dependent on their tax return
  • And this person will claim me on their 2016 tax return.

PatriciaR

Thanks
PatriciaR

You are most welcome!