michael-fernande

I am an international student on F-1 status and i filed my federal and state tax using turbotax and got it accepted , what should i do ?

After filing my taxes and getting it accpted, i found out that non-resident aliens should not use turbo tax. What exactly are my next steps. ?

pk

When did you enter this country with F-1 visa ? Is this the original F-1 or an extension thereto? Are you still in school?  Which country are you from ?

If you are on exempt status, then you are treated as a Non-resident Alien and therefore use the form 1040-NR to file your return. 1040-NR is not supported by TurboTax -- they generally direct such users to  SprinTax , their partner.   If you have filed  using form 1040 then you have to file an amended return-- essentially prepare your return on form 1040-NR ( using SpinrTax or otherwise) , include a note to the IRS explaining the error, and mail this in .