turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daniel5

I received and filed a 1098-T for Tax year 2015 and I have received the same 1098-T for Tax year 2016. Should I file it again?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

I received and filed a 1098-T for Tax year 2015 and I have received the same 1098-T for Tax year 2016. Should I file it again?

Are you certain that it is the same 1098-T? Or does it simply report that your expenses were the same for both years?

If you were a student in 2016, and you received a 1098-T from the school you attended, and the information sounds reasonable to you, then go ahead and include the form on your 2016 return.

If you weren't a student, or are certain that your expenses were different, don't report the information on this form. Contact the school to get a corrected form, or report on your return what you know to be true, based on other information the school has sent you. The last thing you need is to have to repay a credit based on erroneous information.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

Are you certain that it is the same 1098-T? Or does it simply report that your expenses were the same for both years?

If you were a student in 2016, and you received a 1098-T from the school you attended, and the information sounds reasonable to you, then go ahead and include the form on your 2016 return.

If you weren't a student, or are certain that your expenses were different, don't report the information on this form. Contact the school to get a corrected form, or report on your return what you know to be true, based on other information the school has sent you. The last thing you need is to have to repay a credit based on erroneous information.

daniel5

I am 100% certain that it is the same one. The 1098-T was for tuition paid in 2015 for school year 2016. The amounts reported for tuition paid were the same on both 1098-T.
MiriamF
Intuit Alumni

That is truly weird. However, you are responsible for the correct interpretation of this document. If you weren't a student and don't believe you are eligible for a credit, then don't report it on your tax return. You have no obligation to report erroneous information; in fact, it could get you into trouble.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies