May 31, 2019 11:05 PM
If you would like to amend your taxes to see if your 1098-T earns you a higher refund, you will need to file an official amendment.
For amendment instructions, please see the TurboTax FAQ below. Also, please note:
- Before starting to amend the tax return, wait for the tax refund to be received or the taxes due to be paid and processed by the IRS.
- You're free to cash your refund check or spend it once you have it. You don't need to wait for your amendment to finish processing, which can take another 3-4 months.
- If you owe money after amending, you'll just include payment with your mailed amendment form.
- And if your amendment results in a second refund, you'll get a check for the additional amount.
- An amended return, Form 1040X, can only be printed and mailed to the IRS, it cannot be e-filed.
- The IRS will take 16 weeks or longer to process an amended tax return.
- 3 weeks after you mailed your amendment, you can start tracking its progress at the IRS Where's My Amended Return? site.