turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I already filed my federal return on turbo tax and now I wanted to file my state return but I don't see an option to file just state returns on this website?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Heather14

I already filed my federal return on turbo tax and now I wanted to file my state return but I don't see an option to file just state returns on this website?

Yes, you can file your state tax return using TurboTax, as long as you used TurboTax to e-file your federal return, and it has been accepted by the IRS.

To file your state return after you have e-filed your federal tax return (and your return has been accepted) you can follow the instructions below:

•     Click on Taxes at the top of the page, then click on My Tax Timeline
  •     Locate your 2016 tax return information
  •     Under Some Things You Can Do (below your 2016 return statuses), click on Add State
  •    You will be brought to a screen that says, Welcome Back (insert your name)
  •     Look at the top of the page, and click on State Taxes to start your state return
  •     After reviewing your completed State return, look to the top of the screen, and click File
  •     Choose to continue to review your order and pay your fees to file, then click to file your state return 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Heather14

Yes, you can file your state tax return using TurboTax, as long as you used TurboTax to e-file your federal return, and it has been accepted by the IRS.

To file your state return after you have e-filed your federal tax return (and your return has been accepted) you can follow the instructions below:

•     Click on Taxes at the top of the page, then click on My Tax Timeline
  •     Locate your 2016 tax return information
  •     Under Some Things You Can Do (below your 2016 return statuses), click on Add State
  •    You will be brought to a screen that says, Welcome Back (insert your name)
  •     Look at the top of the page, and click on State Taxes to start your state return
  •     After reviewing your completed State return, look to the top of the screen, and click File
  •     Choose to continue to review your order and pay your fees to file, then click to file your state return 
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies