turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bdornon98

I accidently filed my taxes with my wife jointly and I meant to do it separate. So my wife didn't get to put in her taxes. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
PatriciaR

I accidently filed my taxes with my wife jointly and I meant to do it separate. So my wife didn't get to put in her taxes. What do I do?

The status of the tax return you submitted will determine what you can do right now. If it is pending, you need to wait until the IRS Accepts or Rejects the return.  If they reject the return, you can make your corrections including adding your wife's information then refile.  If the IRS accepts your tax return, you will need to file an amendment.

Here are two TurboTax FAQs with information about tax return statuses and about amending your return.  Because it is still early in the tax season, tax amendment instructions are not available yet.  They will be available by late January or early February.

Do I Need to Amend my Tax Return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3318732

How to Amend your Tax Return:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288565

I filed my taxes I meant to put married filed separately now what do I do they rejected it so last year I went through TurboTax I filed separately I claim the kids she filed hers she owed she paid it I got mixed up I filed jointly did not put her information claim the kids they rejected it and asked for the line 11 adjusted income gross but I did it separately I just don't know what to do I am freaking out!

@Mattgabe2424 Slow down.   You have such an unpunctuated run on sentence it is like listening to someone talk at about 100 mph.  Take it slower.....use sentences with periods in them.  Then step by step....tell us what you did with your 2023 tax return.  

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies