Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Itgotworse26
Returning Member

How to file 2020 1040-X despite using IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax

Back in 2021, I filed my 2020 tax return using the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax. However, recently, I received a W-2C from my old employer changing my Social Security Tax Withheld by increasing it by $1400.

I'm not allowed to amend my 2020 taxes due to using the IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax. Do I have to manually fill out a 1040-X somewhere else?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How to file 2020 1040-X despite using IRS Free File Program delivered by TurboTax

That is the max SS taxes you needed to pay ... since you paid less there is no credit for an overpayment to be gotten thus no amendment is needed if boxes 3 & 4 were the ONLY changes on the W-2.   

View solution in original post

7 Replies

An amendment is not needed if the correction on a W-2 for boxes 3 & 4  UNLESS  your  box 4 from all W-2 forms totals up to $8537 or more.  

@Itgotworse26 

The blank form 1040-X in fillable PDF format and its instructions are available at www.irs.gov.
Refer to the Instructions for what is to be attached to Form 1040-X.

Do not include your old 1040 nor your revised 1040 because the Form 1040-X reflects any changes there and becomes your new tax return.
Mail to the address shown in the Instructions.

Itgotworse26
Returning Member

@Critter-3 

The original Social security tax withheld (Box 4) on the W-2 is $10.12. The W-2C corrected it to $1410.64. I take it this is less than the $8,537 threshold you specified? 

Much less ... nothing to amend. 

Itgotworse26
Returning Member

@Critter-3 

Is it possible for you to explain why $8537 is the specific number and why not meeting that number means I shouldn't have to file an amended tax return? 

That is the max SS taxes you needed to pay ... since you paid less there is no credit for an overpayment to be gotten thus no amendment is needed if boxes 3 & 4 were the ONLY changes on the W-2.   

The 8537 amount is the max you need to pay.  It only matters if you have more than 1 employer and all together they took out more than 8537.  Then you can get the excess back on your return.

So you don't need to amend unless you have more than 1 employer and  the increase put you over the max.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies