Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

satwood

How many different tax returns can I file with a purchased copy of tubo tax

I want to file my son's return as well as my own with this purchase
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
Carl
Level 15

• Online Vs Desktop

Online version:; With the online version of TurboTax (any flavor) you can only create one tax return per online account. But you can create up to 5 accounts per e-mail address. With the online version you will $PAY$ for each tederal tax return that you "print and file" or e-file. You will also pay a purchase price for each state tax return program, and then you will pay again to file that state return, regardless of weather you elect to "print and file" or e-file the state return. 

Desktop version: With desktop you purchase the FEDERAL program one time and install the program on your computer. Then you can create as many federal tax returns as desired. But per IRS limits, you can only e-file a maximum of 5 federal returns. After the 5th federal return, you can print, sign and mail any additional federal returns. You DO NOT pay to e-file federal returns, or to print and file federal returns.

For state taxes, you have to purchase each state program separately and install the program as an add-on to the federal program. Then you will pay again to e-file the state return. You can avoid the cost of e-filing a state return if you instead elect to print and file the state return. With the desktop version only, there is no additional charge to print and file the state return via mail. There is only an additional charge if you elect to e-file the state return.

@leemeek You have a blank post. Do you have a tax question?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

So after I download the cd onto my computer can i send to my kids out of state to use the other 4 federal returns?

Well i don't have a cd drive but box at costco says i can download andstill have 5 federals.. how do i give to my kids?

EbonyL122824
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you are able to install TurboTax Desktop software on up to 5 computers. Please see the following FAQ for more information.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/can-i-install-turbotax-on-more-than-one-computer/0...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Julie58
Returning Member

I purchased the online version, but want to convert to the download, desktop version. How do I do that without having to pay again?

@ Julie58 wrote:

I purchased the online version, but want to convert to the download, desktop version. How do I do that without having to pay again?

You can download the *.tax2019 data file (we can tell you how) to use in the 2019 desktop software, but as for acquiring the 2019 desktop software, since you already paid for Online TurboTax, you'll have to talk to TurboTax Support to see what you can work out.

Support hours are 5AM-5PM Pacific (8AM-8PM Eastern), Mon-Fri

FAQ: What is the TurboTax phone number?
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Or use this contact form:
https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/contact

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies